Saturday, December 19, 2009

So long Dan...



It's not every day you lose someone you spent twenty years in space with. That's Dan O'Bannon I'm glaring at in this scene from Dark Star. We were never close, even though we did share a very cozy control room on that space ship. Nevertheless, I was always impressed with his talents, which ran deep in a various directions. I remember reading an interview where he described watching an early screening of Dark Star in which the audience wasn't laughing. It upset him that they didn't realize it was a comedy so he set out to scare the crap out of them instead...and wrote Alien. That worked! I'm obviously glad that Dark Star came to find cult status over time. Dan's name should always be mentioned in the same breath as John Carpenter when Dark Star is mentioned. I have no doubt that when I die Dan will be waiting to torment me with a rubber chicken once again. He was that kind of guy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As John Carpenter said in the Los Angeles Times obituary, "Dan had more talent than he was allowed to show in the movie business." O'Bannon strikes me as someone who was so multi-talented, so multi-faceted, that the titles of "writer", "director", "actor", "production designer", "visual effects artist", etc., etc. never could to justice to what the guy had going on. As a consequence, many in Hollywood could not "get" him since a singular title never fit. He probably had much, much more to give.

"Dark Star" is a film I have enjoyed for over 25 years since discovering it on a late-night movie airing (where else?), and I find it worthwhile to revisit every couple of years or so. It's valuable for the entertainment factor, or course, but valuable for me as a producer to show what can be done when money is tight, but creativity reigns freely. O'Bannon and Carpenter (along with you, Kuniholm, Pahich, and others) put together something special back in '71 (and also '72, '73 and '74, as the story goes...).

Cal Kuniholm ("The Big Boiler") passed late last year, and just as sad to see O'Bannon go now.

Rest in peace, gentlemen.

pistol71 said...

I was phoned by my friend Richard whom I have mentioned the man with whom I used to watch "Dark Star" over and over on Betamax in the early 80's.

We spent half an hour talking about this and I offered to resend the links I have sent him regarding you and other "D.S" stuff.

and so it is that at 1am on Sunday 3rd January in googling once again Cal's obitaury (somewhat proud to note that my comment posting his passing on that "10 Miinute Theatre" You Tube Clip is the fourth ranked item on that subject) I find that Dan O'Bannon has also just died.

I read your blog on the subject it was very touching... I know you have your own relgious beliefs (I am vaguely aware of Meher Baba from reading about Pete Townshend) I hope there is a "Dark Star" reunion up there one day Brian !

otherwise.....Happy New Year I hope it's not inappropriate


Jason

Unknown said...

Please see the link below - excellent article re the passing of
Cal Kuniholm.

http://www.worcestermag.com/speak-out/editorial/95561314.html?m=y&smobile=y&c=y